Wednesday 18 January 2017

Review: There is Always More to Say by Lynda Spiro Young

A heartfelt novel about the connections that bring people together.

Soho 1984: Two people meet and their worlds are changed forever. An unexpected meeting - a look that means their lives will never be the same again. 

In There Is Always More To Say Lynda Spiro chronicles the lives of the couple through friendships, marriage, fleeting moments and snatched time. It is a passionate account about a connection between two people that never dies even when tested by distance and when life throws the unexpected at their feet.



Review: This was a really interesting read for me. At only 160 pages, it was a quick read and I read it pretty much in one sitting, so it was a good read to pick up during the festive season, when time is of the essence. This isn't a Christmasey book, however and so was a nice break for me to read. 

This book is about love and friendship and identity without ever really explicitly saying so. This was a very different read because it is someone chronicling their thoughts to their long-term friend in the form of a sort of journal but it seems, at times, like it is a letter of sorts, to that friend. This meant that it was a very engaging read because, as a reader, i found myself constantly asking who was wring this text, and who the text was being written to. 

Interestingly, genders are not mentioned apart from at one point where the person being spoken to writes a post card to the narrator and refers to them as one particular gender. This gave me a clue that the narrator was, or at one time had been that gender. The narrator is also married and refers to their partner. I imagine that it would have been a conscious decision to leave out gender or any kind and it really does mean that this novella becomes even more engaging!

The story jumps from present time to 1984, to 2004 to 1994, and so it is not in any sort of chronological order. This could have been a little confusing, but each chapter is dated and so you always know where you are. In terms of location, I always knew where I was as well because this book is set in Soho and I could picture the streets and buildings that were being talked about. 

The chapters are generally pretty short, and so the length combined with the chapters made this a quick read. It was a very different read for me and almost left me with more questions than answers, but I found this to be a nice break from what I usually read and I would love to find out more about these characters, I hope that this isn't the last we have seen of them!

To get your copy now click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment