Thursday 3 December 2015

Guest Review: When You Walked Back into My Life by Hilary Boyd

For eight years Flora's love affair with Fin was a whirlwind of fun and spontaneity - but when Flora wanted to settle down and have children, Fin vanished.
Life moved on and Flora's world filled with other people, other cares. There were benefits to being single - no socks under the bed, no mess in the bathroom - even if the memory of Fin could never be completely erased.
But then suddenly, shockingly, Fin reappears. He's a changed man, he says, and her wants her back.

Is this a chance to put right the wrongs? Or a massive mistake?




This author is new to me, but when I saw this audio book on the shelf in the library, I thought it looked well worth a try. I'm glad that I did, as I found the story captivating and compelling.

It is basically the story of Flora and Fin, an ex-boyfriend who suddenly reappears having suddenly walked out on her without explanation several years before. Flora is a lively and highly likeable character - kind and gentle. She puts up with an awful lot from Fin, but then she's in love. I felt really suspicious of his motives all the way through the book and even found myself shouting at her not to tell him things!

In addition to those two, there are only a few other characters in the cast, but all are strong individuals with their own stories. Flora lives with her sister, Pru, and family, including her niece who clearly idolises her aunt. Flora is a nurse for a lovely old lady, Dorothea, who has a slightly dodgy nephew hanging about in the wings. There are also the other private nurses and Dorothea's attentive family doctor. Finally, the doorman to the block of flats where Dorothea lives. He is an entertaining but caring guy; just the right personality for the job.

I found the book well written and engaging. It left me wanting to know how life progressed for Flora after we left her, which I think is the sign of a good story. I shall certainly be looking out for other books by Hilary Boyd. 

No comments:

Post a Comment