Wednesday 4 November 2015

Review: The Things We Do For Love by Alice Peterson


Love may hurt, but not loving hurts even more . . .
January Wild loves her daughter, her dog and her childhood home by the sea.
Single parenting is tough, but January has no regrets. She has a job she loves, a happy home and the support of her beloved grandfather. The arrival of a new boss, however, threatens to shake up January's safe world.
Ward Metcalfe loves great sales results and a well-run office.
Everyone at her office agrees: Ward is a soulless, corporate slave driver. Even Spud, the company mascot, dislikes him.
A secret stands between them.
Yet over time January sees there is more to Ward than meets the eye. Rumours circulate. What exactly is he hiding? and is January prepared to risk everything to find out?

Review: this was such a lovely story and everything you would expect from an Alice Peterson novel. The reader is thrown right into the action with January and the novel continues to tell her past tell, how she came to be who she is today and her current situation. There are all sorts of twists for our lovely heroine, life definitely doesn't run smoothly for her but at the same time, you wish that things did. There were some points where the novel had jumped to the past and it to me a while to catch up with where we were and what the situation was, this is not a novel for switching off with,but I feel that because I concentrated that little bit more, I got more out of the novel. 

I really liked January as a character. She is a strong lead and  refreshing from some heroines who don't really know what to do with themselves or fall into tears at the first sign of difficulty. I liked that she was determined to be independent. She knows that she made some bad decisions but she acknowledges them and deals with them. I also really like the fact that, despite being a single mother with a very needy child, she still wants to and does work! Ward on the other hand was not a favourite of mine. I didn't like the fact that he had a real temper on him and was fairly cagey. The temper meant that he was always apologising and having to be forgiven for things and I think I would just eventually loose patience with h in real life. 

This book didn't make me cry, so if you've read Alice Peterson's other novels with a tissue in hand, don't worry you probably won't need it for this one. It was a still an intense read but nothing that had me weeping in public or anything! I read this fairly quickly and actually listened to the Audiobook performance! It was a good performance apart from the voice used for the little girl, this was just a little to infantile and made me cringe. I found myself trying to grab any opportunity to listen to this book though because I desperately wanted to find out what was going to happen. This was a heartwarming tale and definitely completely relevant to life as a single parent or even just a woman today.  

To order your copy now, click here!

No comments:

Post a Comment