Thursday 28 May 2015

Author Interview: Jane Linfoot author of The Vintage Cinema Club

I am very lucky today to have the lovely Jane Linfoot answering my probing questions. Jane is the author of The Vintage Cinema Club which was released in ebook this week! It is going to be released in paperback on 30th July here's the blurb: 
Meet The Vintage Cinema Club….
Izzy is a wow at making unwanted things pretty, but with three brothers and her shabby chic furniture business to run she doesn’t have time to date. Could a fabulous French proposal change her mind?
Single mum Luce’s vintage bridal dresses are exquisite, but there’s no way she’s ever going to wear one or walk down the aisle for that matter. She’s a strictly no romance, one night kind of woman – or so she thinks…
Dida seems to have it all – a chocolate and banana cake recipe to die for, lovely kids (most of the time!) and a great lifestyle. But what good is a fabulous home, when your marriage has more cracks than a pavlova and your husband is having it off with half of Lithuania?
Three retro fabulous friends, in love with all things vintage, run their dream business from the faded grandeur of a rescued cinema. When that dream comes under threat, they’ll do whatever it takes to save it.


And now for the interview-don't forget the links to get yourself a copy of this novel are at the bottom of this post. Thanks again to Jane for answering my questions! 

First question-bit of a cliche-how did you get into writing?

Writing chicklit novels happened by accident when I got Kate Walker’s book on writing romance novels out of the library. I was meaning to get some exercises for a writers’ group, but I read the whole book, and I was hooked.


Do you write full time & if so, have you always done this?

I used to work full time, doing up old houses, but after the property crash I suddenly found time to do the writing I’d always dreamed of. I write full time now, and for me writing is one of those things – the more of it I do, the more I want to do.


Do you have a particular writing style or genre that you prefer?

I love writing books with a chicklit feel, although so far I haven’t written in the first person. My natural writing style is light rather than heavy, and seems to fit well within that genre.


How do you develop your characters as you write, are any of them based on real people?

My characters have a horrible habit of marching onto the page fully formed, which is great until they start to boss me about. If they have traits of real people I know it’s not usually deliberate.
Some writers sit and make lists about their characters to get to know them, but I tend to get to know mine as we go through the novel. We definitely know each other better by the end than when we begin, because we spend so much time together. I’m always gutted to have to leave my characters behind, and when a book comes to an end, I’m always very sad.

What was the inspiration behind The Vintage Cinema Club?

The inspiration first came from a trip around vintage shops in Brighton. I came home and decided a vintage shop, shared by friends, would make a great setting for a book. I used to go to furniture auctions in an old place in Matlock, which used to be The Palace Cinema, and that was a perfect space to choose for the location, especially since Matlock has unexpectedly become the vintage capital of the area lately.  


What is your writing process-do you map it out first? Write a bit at a time?

I like to have the framework of a book in my head before I begin, and I make a lot of notes about that. Then I start to write. Some people say you should write a first draft without stopping, but for me it works better if I go back and edit and add layers to the scenes as I go along.


How much of you is reflected in your novels?

It’s inevitable that there’s a lot of me woven into my books. I think if you write what you know, the writing is stronger, so I do that, but I do end up revealing a lot about my life along the way. But as no one knows which are the real bits and which bits are made up, that’s okay.


What kind of research did you do before/during writing your novel?

I tend to research as I go, and I do this more than I realise. I find that I can’t write in a wifi free zone, because I constantly refer to Google to check things. I like to write about places I’ve been to – I don’t over load my writing with descriptions, but when the small details I  include are real, the book feels more authentic.


Do you have any plans to develop your novel further, write sequels, turn it into a series?

Whenever I finish a book I miss that characters so much that I always want to write more.  Series are more difficult to write than you would imagine, because the continuity has to be spot on. I’m not sure my brain is big enough to hold all the information I’d need for a long series.


How much attention do you pay to the reviews that you get?

It’s great getting a fab review, because I love to hear that someone has enjoyed the book. When a review is critical, I definitely try to take note of that, and learn from it. As for the bitchy one star reviews, it’s best to ignore those. Hopefully they say more about the reviewer than the book.  


Are friends and family supportive of your writing?

I’m lucky to have a very supportive family, who cheer me on all the way, help me with a lot of techie stuff, and understand why dinner is burned again. It isn’t easy living with a writer, and my partner is very long suffering. My writing friends offer huge support too.


How did you feel leading up to your publication day?

When I first signed with Harper Impulse back in 2013, I hyperventilated for at least three months. This is my fourth book, and publication day is still really exciting, but it’s very tiring too, because of getting all the promotion posts in place.


Which other authors inspire you or are there any you particularly enjoy reading?

I love anything that makes me smile. Jane Costello, Mhairi McFarlane, Helen Fielding, Tracey Bloom, Debbie Johnson and Zara Stoneley are my current faves



Jane Linfoot writes fun, flirty fiction, with feisty heroines and lots of heart. She lives with her family and pets in Derbyshire, and loves hearts, flowers, happy endings and all things vintage.
Author Links

Personal Page Facebook Happy to have friends
Twitter @janelinfoot
Pinterest Lots of Vintage Cinema Club character pages on Pinterest


Blurb

The Vintage Cinema Club

"A witty, warm-hearted romp through the lives and loves of three friends – with a cool retro vibe, and a sense of fun that will never go out of fashion." – Debbie Johnson, author of the best-selling ‘Cold Feet At Christmas’.
Fans of Lucy Diamond, Michele Gorman and Milly Johnson are going to love this heartfelt, funny story.
Buy Links:


No comments:

Post a Comment