Thursday 2 April 2015

Review: The Duff by Kody Keplinger

Today I am going to review The Duff. The film is out in cinemas in the UK next week and I went to see a special preview this Tuesday. I will be doing a book vs film comparison on the blog soon but to celebrate the release of the film, here's my review of the book...


Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is smart, cynical, loyal - and well aware that she's not the hot one in her group of friends. But when high-school jock and all round moron Wesley Rush tells her she's a DUFF - a Designated, Ugly Fat Friend - Bianca does not the see funny side. She may not be a beauty but she'd never stoop so low as to go anywhere near the likes of Wesley ... Or would she? Bianca is about to find out that attraction defies looks and that sometimes your sworn enemies can become your best friends ...
With a wry and tell-it-like-it-is voice, New York Times Bestselling novel The Duff is a witty and poignant story of a teenager struggling with the rules of high school attraction, along with the breaking down of her relationships with family and friends. It is a novel about what it means to be sexy, in a world where we feel we have to be perfect!



Review: Ok so I'm going to have to admit that I really wasn't terribly into this book in the first few pages, now usually that spells doom for me and not really enjoying the book, but as the story went on, I became more and more invested in the story and sat reading a great chunk of this all in one sitting! I laughed, I gasped, i even went oooo in a few places. i was a little shocked that there was so much sex and swearing in a YA book but reading it as an adult it didn't really bother me.  can't believe how young this author is either-am seriously jealous that such talent can be exhibited at such a young age-I need to get a move on clearly!

I really liked the characters in this book, in that they felt pretty real to me. Sometimes I didn't like the fact that they were such typical teenagers and therefore somewhat whiny and naive but then I always take against teenagers in books for that reasons so I'm totally not judging! Bianca was the least whiny of the bunch and so it was good that she was the main character. She seems strong on the outside, but many of her actions in this book are done through insecurity and through wanting to try and find herself or better herself and so she really isn't as strong as she makes out. She is practical though and understands what real life is like and so I liked her for that. 

The makes characters in the book are interesting and are kind of like your typical Jocks., I was, of course rooting for Bianca to get with one male character in partciular all the way through the book, I won't give the game away and tell you which one. The high school setting is typical of YA but I like the family aspect of this book too and theme of strong friendships throughout. 

Overall this book was a lot of fun. I think the reason I didn't connect with it straight away was that it felt it went a little too quickly in the beginning but as the story progressed, things slowed down and we were able to see the characters and the storyline in its fullest form and really explore what was going on. I really enjoyed the book and found it to be a really quick read. Its a fun read but i would definitely say that its something for older teens because of the sex, the swearing and the exploration of alcoholism. 

No comments:

Post a Comment