Wednesday 11 March 2015

Review: The No Kids Club by Talli Roland

At almost forty, Clare Donoghue is living child-free and loving it.

Then her boyfriend says he wants kids, breaking off their promising relationship. And it’s not just boyfriends: one by one, her formerly carefree friends are swallowed up in a nonstop cycle of play dates and baby groups. So Clare decides it’s time for people who don’t have children to band together. And so the No-Kids Club is born.

As the group comes together—Anna, who’s seeking something to jumpstart a stale marriage, and Poppy, desperate for a family but unable to conceive—Clare’s hoping to make the most of the childless life with her new friends.

Will the No-Kids Club be Clare’s route to happiness, or will single life lose its sparkle? Clare is faced with a tough decision and surprises herself along the way.



Review: I love the fact that women who don't want children, not because they can't have them or because they don't have a partner are now being written about, therefore I love the premise behind this book. I really liked the structure as well. Three people with their own lives and issues coming to get her to the No Kids Club all for different reasons and all hoping to get something out of it and becoming friends. This was a totally heart-warming, lovely read that also made you think and carried you along right the way to the end! 

I loved Clare's character the most, I think because she was an incredibly hard-working woman as well as someone who didn't want children in her life and so I could really relate to her and loved seeing her represented in this book! I was drawn to ann because I felt sorry for her and because I wanted everything to go right for her. Of course I identified with poppy too because she was a school teacher although I was occasionally jealous that she seemd to actually have time to breathe and eat as well as be at work! 

The storyline isn't just about whether someone wants a family or not, it is about these three women and their place in modern society. Over the course of the book you get to see them grow as women, get to see them change and become more accepting of themselves and their choices, it was just a real feel-good read but challenging at the same time. As I have already said, this was a fairly fast paced book, I listened to this on audiobook and it was an enjoyable listen but to anyone looking to pick this up in its ebook form, I really recommend that this goes on your TBR now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment