Thursday 19 March 2015

Review: His Other Life by Beth Thomas

He was hiding a terrible secret...

Grace’s new husband Adam seems like the perfect package. Good looking, great job, completely charming – almost too good to be true...

So when Adam suddenly disappears from Grace’s life, she is left bewildered and heartbroken. And with a lot of unanswered questions.

As she tries desperately to find him, Grace opens a Pandora’s Box of secrets and lies – and starts to learn that Adam wasn't so perfect after all.

What shameful secrets was her husband hiding? Is Grace in danger? And can she survive the truth? However terrible it may be...





Review: this book was totally not what I was expecting. From the cover this looks like a kind of typical women's fiction novel but it is something so much darker and more mysterious than that with the wonderful romance of a women's fiction novel at its heart! The storyline overall was fast-paced, twisty and packs a real punch. There is a definite element of mystery there which normally I'm not a massive fan of but because I felt so invested in the characters, I really enjoyed! The ups and downs were really quite unexpected and the amount that happens over such a short time frame is seriously impressive!

The characters themselves are interesting. Grace, our lovely female protagonist is a naive kind of person with plenty of redeeming qualities but I did sometimes want to grab her and shake her for naivety and I did find it a little unbelievable that she really did know so little about the world. She seems to have buried her head in the sand for several years though because of the circumstances she is in and so she can definitely be forgiven that! I have to say, I loved Grace's best friend, Ginger. She was a real treat to read and so unpredictable, you never knew what she was going to say or do next. 

Adam is definitely the villain of the story and I hated him from the word go,. He is someone that it is entertaining to hate through and I really wanted to shout at him as well as Grace for being so controlling and manipulative. Without all of that though, the story wouldn't have been what it is, it is very much a character driven novel!

Its pretty hard to write any concluding remarks about the book without giving any spoilers. I really liked the ending and the loved the romance thread running through the novel the whole time so so much. Some of the twists and turns were slightly unbelievable but I really felt like I was going through this ordeal the whole time with Grace and so therefore I was truly invested in the story. Because of the fast-paced thriller aspect of this novel I found it really hard to put down and I think this would be a great introduction to the world of suspense or thriller novels for those among us who are usually women's fiction fans in the first instance!

No comments:

Post a Comment