Wednesday 18 February 2015

Review: Looking for Alaska by John Green

Miles Halter is fascinated by famous last words – and tired of his safe, boring and rather lonely life at home. He leaves for boarding school filled with cautious optimism, to seek what the dying poet Francois Rabelais called the "Great Perhaps." Much awaits Miles at Culver Creek, including Alaska Young. Clever, funny, screwed-up, and dead sexy, Alaska will pull Miles into her labyrinth and catapult him into the Great Perhaps.
Looking for Alaska brilliantly chronicles the indelible impact one life can have on another.


Review: I totally didn't know what to expect from this novel, a friend had been encouraging me to read it for some time & I enjoyed the fault in our stars so I set aside a Sunday to finally sit down and do it!

This book has the familiarity of John green's fantastic writing and yet is a completely different much darker story than TFIOS. Fans of the romantic storyline of the better known of his novels will find something different in this, his first literary offering but I definitely wasn't disappointed by this book...

I enjoyed the storyline itself even though I found it a little slow in parts. It certainly wasn't predictable as I was never really sure where it was going to go next! The humour in the story was excellent and it a real credit to Greeb's excellent writing, I laughed out loud during several parts.

I didn't really fel with many of the characters, probably just because I find it more difficult to relate to characters far away from me in age but I didn't dislike any of them and their exchanges and relationship with each other reminded me of a really good teen storyline from a movie so I enjoyed it.

As young adult books go, there was a fair bit of swearing and sexuality but it didn't detract from the storyline at all, I would just exercise caution if choosing this novel as/for a younger teen. Overall I enjoyed this story, I really liked the humour but no, I didn't cry, I'm quite proud of that fact!

No comments:

Post a Comment