Thursday 11 December 2014

Review: Everyday Sexism by Laura Bates


Are you #ShoutingBack? 

After experiencing a series of escalating sexist incidents, Laura Bates, a young journalist, started a project called 'everyday sexism' to raise the profile of these previously untold stories. Astounded by the response she received and the wide range of stories that came pouring in from all over the world, she quickly realised that the situation was far worse than she'd initially thought. Enough was enough. From being harassed and wolf-whistled at on the street, to discrimination in the workplace and serious sexual assault, it was clear that sexism had become normalised. Bates decided it was time for women to lead a real change. Bold, jaunty but always intelligent, everyday sexism is a protest against inequality that provides a unique window into the vibrant movement sparked by this juggernaut of stories - often shocking, sometimes amusing and always poignant. 

With an Introduction by Sarah Brown, this book is a manifesto for change; a ground breaking, anecdotal examination of sexism in modern day society. Welcome to the fourth wave of feminism.
Everyday Sexism

Review: everyone needs to read this book now! I knew I was looking forward to reading this book but I seriously don't know why I left it so long! I have been aware of the project and the Twitter feed for the project for some time and I had seen this author doing various bookshop tours and appearances on TV but I really wish I had read this book sooner just so I could've been pushing it on people sooner as well.

I struggle to say that i liked this book because I did like it, I enjoyed reading it and hearing all the stories and statistics and found it hugely interesting but I don't like the content of the book. This isn't because it isn't well put together or because it isn't a fabulous read which everyone should buy or at the very least add t their wishlists right now, but its because I find it very sad the amount of sexism that people tolerate, irnore or are completely unaware of. So I love the book and loved reading it but I don't like the fact that it had to be written.

The structure of this books makes for a very easy read. Each chapter has a theme and that theme is explored through entries to the Everyday Sexism projects, statistics and analysis by Laura Bastes. Its the perfect formula and means that every aspect of that particular chapter is explored thoroughly. The Author's voice is strong but not judgmental. It must have been incredibly hard to pull this off without making tons and tons of judgments and coming across as very one-sided when it comes to sexism but this book explores all aspects of sexism including sexism combined with other kinds of prejudice and discrimination and the sexism that men face and the way they feel about sexism directed towards females.

The thing that stuck with me the most having read this book is the aspirations of young people, especially girls and the sexism they face when deciding what they want to do with their lives. As a teacher, I now feel a tremendous sense of responsibility to ensure that the young people I come into contact with realise that they can to anything that they want to do and that they should make it happen!

This book should definitely not be confined to the female audience or to those who would consider themselves a feminist. It is such a brilliant read because of how informative it is and once read, you will definitely feel fired up! If you haven't already done so, this book needs to be added to your basket or at the very least your wish list because it is one of the most important books you will read this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment