Friday 11 April 2014

Review: The List by Joanna Bolouri

Phoebe Henderson may be single but she sure doesn't feel fabulous. It's been a year since she found her boyfriend Alex in bed with another woman, and multiple cases of wine and extensive relationship analysis with best friend Lucy have done nothing to help. Faced with a new year but no new love, Phoebe concocts a different kind of resolution.


The List: ten things she's always wanted to do in bed but has never had the chance (or the courage!) to try. A bucket list for between the sheets. One year of pleasure, no strings attached. Simple, right?



Factor in meddlesome colleagues, friends with benefits, getting frisky al fresco and maybe, possibly, true love and Phoebe's got her work cut out for her.


Review: wow, I picked this book up and I literally couldn't put it down! I started reading it after work and before I knew it, it was midnight and I was 300 pages in! If I didn't have work the next day I definitely would've finished it then and there, it was such an original story, funny and relatable with the most-well described Glasgow setting I have ever read in a book! 

I talked a couple of weeks ago about things I'd like to see in the books I read, books set in Glasgow was one of those things. This book hit the nail right on the head mentioning places I used to live, used to eat and drink and really did the city justice. I think sometimes Scottish cities don't come off so well in novels, but this novel paints Glasgow to be the vibrant, cosmopolitan place that it was and I could totally picture phoebe and her mates in every location that was described here. I would like to thank this author for representing Glasgow so well in such a fabulous novel! 

The story itself was so original and yet so simple and that's what's made for such a wonderful read. A woman working her way through a sexual wish list-I LOVE this idea! I can't believe it hasn't been done before. But far from being erotic or sexy, this book is funny and relatable. Each encounter comes with it's own trials and tribulations and there are more than a few mishaps along the way, physically and emotionally. The structure of the book is a diary form and I love this form because it means I read faster as, rather than getting to the end of the chapter, i try and get to the end of that day or even month-it's super! The ending of this book had me howling though-total cliffhanger alert! It KIND of wrapped things up, we know what's going to happen but I want so so badly to find out how it's all going to pan out. Yes, this ending was rather predictable but I honestly don't think that that's a bad thing in this case, but please please, let me have more of these fab characters! 

I loved all of the characters in this book, well loved to hate the villains of the book of course! Phoebe is fabulous and totally relatable, Oliver her best friend is so laid back and again, I relate him to some guys I know. She has a really strong female friendship group who I totally idolised, I wish they were my friends. The only people really lacking in terms of characters were her parents, thankfully they lived in Canada and so didn't really feature in the storyline. I don't think they would've really fitted in to what was going on over the course of the novel, so it was a good decision by this author to leave them out of it for now. 

Overall this was just a really fun, quick, amusing read. It does contain a a lot of sex but nothing amazingly graphic or offensive. It did make me wonder if this book could've been written in the days pre-sex and the city/50 shades, has our reading become more liberated. If you don't fancy reading about a lot of sex then maybe give this one a miss but if you don't mind an open account of one woman's horny adventures with a bit of romance, a whole heap of humour and tons of totally relatable moments then I urge you to read this book now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment