Wednesday 2 April 2014

Review! Finding Sky by Joss Stirling

You have half our gifts, I have the other . . . When English girl Sky, catches a glimpse of bad boy Zed in her new American high school, she can't get him out of her head. He talks to her with his thoughts. He reads her mind. He is the boy she will love for ever. Dark shadows stalk her past but a new evil threatens her future. Sky must face the dark even if it means losing her heart...



Review: I recently read and reviewed Storm and Stone by Joss Stirling. This was the first book I'd read by this author and I was lucky enough to meet her at a recent bloggers events. So when Finding Sky came up on sale on audiobook, I thought I have to read it and I really enjoyed it! I found it a super quick read, I stormed through it in a matter of days, finding any excuse to listen to it because, boy does this author know how to write a good dramatic scene which is so tense and compelling, you can't do anything else but absorb yourself in it. This novel had so many twists and turns, whilst the ending was slightly predictable, you had no idea how you were going to get there. 

The very beginning of this book deals with a child abandoned at a service station, this child then turns out to be the eponymous Sky. She moves to the states with her adoptive parents and begins school in Colorado where she meets best friend Tina and of course, the eve duct brothers. Being introduced to all these characters felt like the beginning of a teen movie, this is ironic in itself because in the Novel, Sky says that all she knew about American high schools had come from the movies and questioned whether they would really be like that all the time! I found Sky a bit of a needy, naive character but still fairly endearing. She didn't seem to take on new concepts very quickly, something which was slightly frustrating. Despite this, I enjoyed reading about her journey, 

I thought the Benedict Brothers were slightly unbelievable as characters, but when you discover more about them and about Sky, you understand why this is. Sky's parents also seemed pretty naive but nice enough... The storyline was just so brilliant, however, that I can ignore any character flaws. It was full of mystery and romance and all just in the right proportion. There were some totally tense moments and also some completely aww moments, so that was good. 

I would recommend getting this book on audiobook because the narrator was so terrible at accents I found myself laughing at her from time to time (think Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins). I've got the second and third books in the series out from the library, something I wish I'd done with the first book, because I loved this one so much and I'm already well into the second book, definitely a fun read! 

No comments:

Post a Comment