Thursday 10 April 2014

Review! The Accident by C L Taylor.


The person you trust most may only be telling you half the story …


Fast-paced, suspenseful, this is a book with more twists than a helter-skelter that will keep you reading late into the night. Perfect for fans of Before I Go to Sleep and Gone Girl.



Sue Jackson has the perfect family but when her teenage daughter Charlotte deliberately steps in front of a bus and ends up in a coma she is forced to face a very dark reality.



Retracing her daughter’s steps she finds a horrifying entry in Charlotte’s diary and is forced to head deep into Charlotte’s private world. In her hunt for evidence, Sue begins to mistrust everyone close to her daughter and she’s forced to look further, into the depths of her own past.



There is a lot that Sue doesn’t know about Charlotte’s life. But then there’s a lot that Charlotte doesn’t know about Sue’s …



Review: wow this is going to be a really hard review to write without giving anything away. Firstly I wasn't sure I was going to like this book because I had heard so much hype about it and also, it not usually my kind of book, I'm normally put off if the word thriller is used on the back! What a thriller this was too. It was a veritable roller later of emotions that had you turning each sage, eager to find out what had happened! The structure of the story is such that you can't not read on. It consists of present day followed by a flashback taken from the mothers diary. There are also some flashbacks in the present day section of the book, looking back just a few years to events that had happened between husband and wife, mother and daughter. 

The mother is the story is the main character, even though the person who has been hit by the bus is Charlotte, her daughter. I had a really mixed relationship with Sue, the mother. At first I was completely on her side and then with each flashback and look forwards I switched between sympathising for her, thinking she was deranged and completely rooting for someone to come and help her, solve all her problems. The same goes for Brian, Charlotte's dad. He is a politician and so I naturally didn't trust him but I really wanted him to be happy and successful, but also felt he was being unsupportive of his wife and family. I didn't like any of Charlotte's friends, I thought they were all very self-centred but this was a necessary character flaw to allow the story to develop and progress the way that it did! 

There is a very evil character in this story, I'm not sure I've ever had such hatred for a character. I think it's possibly because they remind me of someone I know, but that aside, they were a scheming psychopaths which is obvious right from the moment we meet them. The build up of all the evil things this character has done was one of the most exciting parts of the story, as is finding out about Charlotte and her character. She seems like the perfect straight-laced student but there is most certainly more to her than meets the eye, and reading about her mother searching through her various friends and acquaintances to find out what is highly entertaining. 

The events that unfold are just all so unbelievable and yet entirely believable based on what you already know about the characters and what's gone on before, it's honestly such a thrill to read. I'm not normally a fan of anything so mysterious but it was written in such a way that was just so compelling I was hooked and literally could not put the book down! There are a few bits which definitely made me wince, so horrible was the plight of a victim but overall it was just a really driven storyline. There was even a moment when I gasped 'oh my god!' Whilst reading in a busy airport so I definitely recommend this book to anyone-make it your next read!

To grab your copy, click here




No comments:

Post a Comment