Tuesday 1 October 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Book Turn Offs


Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists over there at The Broke and the Bookish. I'd love to share my lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

You know what's its like when you're reading a book thinking, this is totally my kind of thing, completely something I'm into and then BAM something changes! Suddenly you're soooo not into the book anymore, or you find yourself suddenly skimming when you were totally absorbed before. Here are my top ten turn offs:

1. Cheating. I find it really difficult to identify with a character when they cheat on their partner, I feel like they've cheated on me too! 

2. Domestic abuse. I find this really uncomfortable to read and have been known to abandon more than one book because I couldn't get past the domestic absurd storyline. 

3. Crime. I don't like reading about crime and if it comes up in a book suddenly, I'm just not that keen to carry on!

4. The bad boy wins. I'm a big fan of the good guy, and indeed the good girl. If a female character chooses the bad boy over the adorable good guy, I sulk-honestly I do! 

5. Too much lip biting. There seems to be an awful lot of lip biting in books at the moment, and there has to be a point where I say-I can't stand this anymore! 

6. Abrupt endings. I know this doesn't happen until right to the end but I'm a noses reader, I neeeeeeed to know what happens to everyone, unless I know for sure there is going to be a sequel! I love an epilogue and so my review of a book with an abrupt ending can go seriously downhill unless things are properly resolved. 

7. Discovering things were really a dream. My boyfriend read a book recently where they woke up and it was all a dream-what a cop out! This has happened to me before as well, just the same as above, my review of that book goes from 5 star to 2 all at once! 

8. Crazy random acts just for the sake of it. Now I'm a planner, I'm organised but every now and then I do like a bit of spontaneity, I think that life it like that, I hate books though where the characters do crazy random things out of the blue, I think sometimes it's just because the author wanted to pad out the storyline another few hundred words. If they are spontaneous all the time, that's ok, but if there is a sudden crazy act, nope! 

9. When women become needy. If you've read my reviews before, you'll know I'm a big fan of a strong female character. I hate a needy, whiney girl. Sometimes you get YA novels where the girl is needy and moody all the way through, she is a teenager, she has an excuse. The minute someone my age becomes needy and always has to have a man around, nope-not for me! 

10. Nothing. I like a nice juicy storyline, something I can say, you,l never guess what just happened in my book, or listen to this funny bit in my book, or my book just made me bawl my eyes out. If nothing is happening in the book, there is nothing to talk about! It's even worse when the story has been going along nicely and then all of a sudden, it tails off and you're left with nothings a 'meh' point, total turn off! 

I'd love to hear what made it onto your list, or any you think I might have missed out! If you fancy arguing the case of the things I've stuck into the Room 101, feel free to leave me a comment below! 

No comments:

Post a Comment