Tuesday 28 May 2013

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Book Quotes

Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish. This feature was created because they are particularly fond of lists over there at The Broke and the Bookish. I'd love to share my lists with other bookish folks and would LOVE to see your top ten lists!

A few weeks ago there was a top ten rewind where you could choose what you wanted to revisit from. Top ten you'd missed and I chose a fairly recent one, but quite a few people chose their favourite quotes. I totally wish I'd chosen that because when I'm reading I always highlight my favourite quotes in books. So news my chance to share some of them with you. I no particular order...

1. From How to Be a Woman by Caitlin Moran: "The relief of taking off a bad bra is immeasurable. It's like a combination of putting your feet up, going to the toilet, a drink of cold water on a hot day and sitting on the steps of a caravan having a fag. Bad bra removal is measure of your friendship. If you would feel comfortable in going round to someone's house at the end of a long day and saying, 'I'm just going to take my bra off,' you know you are intimate friends."

2. From Married by Christmas by Scarlet Bailey: "And besides, haven't you learnt yet that you can't always be prepared for what life throws at you."

3. From A Passionate Love Affair with a Total Stranger by Lucy Robinson: "After all, I wasn't a bad person. I was just doing my best in what had turned out to be a fairly imperfect life."

4. From Moranthology by Caitlin Moran (I could quote Caitlin Moran for this whole top ten, honestly I could!) "This faux-cuntiness was a cunt's game. I decided I was going to stop."

5. From You Had me at Hello by Mhari Mcfarlane: "The process of falling in love had been gradual but the realisation that's where I was arrived fully formed. While I was avoiding it, it felt complex. Once confronted, it was extremely simple."

6. From Working it Out by Nicola May: "Men are not mind-readers. Men need to be told."

7. From Yours Truly by Kirsty Greenwood (I thought this beautifully summed up the feeling when you have to make or answer a very important, life-changing phonecall) "I hold the phone in my shaking hands, it felt heavy and clunky, like a phone from twenty years ago."

8. From I Heat London by Lindsey Kelk: "That'll do pig!" Angela Clark quoting Babe as she looks in the mirror-just genius!

9. From How to Eat Out by Giles Coren: "plain prawn dumplings, should be thin, opalescent rice skins through which you can just see three small prawns making love, their arses bulging against the dumpling walls like stolen babies stuffed in a pillow case."

10. From The First Last Kiss by Ali Harris: "Do kisses fade like Polaroids if you don't pay attention to them?" Just gorgeous!

So some different quotes there, some of them made me cry with laughter, others made me really think and others are just a generally good message for life! I could go on and on with this theme so if there is a freebie week again, I may well just go for 10 more of my favourite book quotes! Let me know what you chose this week and leave me a link for your top ten...





















4 comments:

  1. Believe it or not, I haven't heard of any of these books! Cool quotes though. The one about men needing to be told: LOL! Thanks for checking out my TTT list!

    Holly @ http://hollysreadinghollow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Had a good laugh. A good bra is hard to find, lol. Thanks for stopping by my TTT :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for including me!

    Kirsty Greenwood xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's ok, I had a few quotes from your book saved...was hard to choose!

      Delete